Friday, November 27, 2009

Houston

My dad is a geophysicist. That is a very very fancy and over-educated way to say my dad looks for oil. (Black gold, Texas crude). If you are an oilman, where is the logical place for you to live and raise a family. Houston.

Looking back, my childhood in Houston was not so bad, but all I ever wanted to do was get out of there. It was hot, and muggy, and had these huge churches that were super conservative and scary. The list went on and on.

But, whenever I drive back into town, I get happy. I remember things. Being in high school and hanging out on Richmond and Montrose. Red Square on a Saturday night and dancing until 2. The House of Guys (Pies) on Kirby, getting coffee and people watching. Numbers, Butera's, the Alabama Bookstop, Brasil, The Menil, Step Back Sams, the Dream Merchant.

Things have come and gone. I had dinner at the old site of the Dream Merchant at Mark's. It used to be the clothing store that was in an old church. I remember coming home in high school and telling my mom about that store. They sold Docs on what used to be the alter area. Now it's a fancy restaurant. Super fancy. The alter is now the bar. My mom seemed to have issues with them selling shoes on it, but liquor, not so much.

Really, not a bad town. Maybe I'm waxing poetically because it's November and the weather is beautiful. Lets see how much I like this place when I visit in July.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to have you back. I was beginning to wonder.

Memories are the best part about going home.

Question for you...how are those cute kitties doing?

Victoria is only a wee bit crazy said...

Oh they are the best. We are all crashed out on the couch cuddling as we speak.

Food Czar said...

I agree. Houston is not a bad town. Except that in summertime, the mosquitos are so large that they can and do pick up Volkswagens.